This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. John 15:12 (NLT)
After reading this text, I have to ask "Jesus, how did you love us?"
- You gave up something better to come here for us.
- While you were here, you relinquished owning everything to own nothing.
- You gave up security, the security of heaven for the chaos of earth.
- You gave up love and adoration for ridicule and hatred.
- You gave up being 100% God to live in a human body.
- You gave up angels who would fight to their death for fickle human friends who ran away at the first sign of trouble.
- You gave up being surrounded by the wisdom of the ages to be surrounded by people who after three years still didn't get it.
- You experienced immense pain, both physically and emotionally, that lead to death so you could take the imperfect home to perfection.
Jesus loves us sacrificially. After thinking about this I need to ask myself, "How often do we love each other the way Jesus loved us? and What does it look like for us to do that?"